Friday, September 9, 2011

Whew ... that stirred up a bit of noise!!

Okay --- I admit I started yesterdays blog in a way that may have surprised a few people, but it was a conscious decision to do it that way -- I wanted people to react -- and I wanted to see what they would react to.

Firstly I should say that on the blog story itself, Enough is enough ... I'm not going to take this anymore, five people checked that they agreed with what had been written, and there were no comments to the negative.

I did however get a couple of emails ...one of which simply said ... "Here here".

The other however, from someone whom I respect, said "Gordon Campbell has done more for this Province than you will ever do, and furthermore, your language is disgusting."


Two things concerned this writer ... one of course was my use of the words 'rat's ass' -- they other was a perception that I was criticizing Gordon Campbell himself.

Guilty on the first count --- NOT guilty on the second --- which is why I responded to them with the following:

Good morning ( __ name withheld__)  ...

Never in a million years would I EVER claim to be able to do, or accomplish, more than Gordon Campbell ever did as a mayor, MLA, or Premier.

I used one strong word because I am fed up beyond belief with all of the talk that he does not reserved to receive the award however I would ask that aside from that, you please re-read what I had to say because here are a few of the comments:
  • because whether he is given this award of not, I know that ‘at this moment’ he does not deserve it!
  • I do not wish to join the other loud chorus that says. 'he does not deserve it, period'.  That's because I will readily admit that while I TRY to do my best, I often fail miserably … but then I get up and try again to accomplish the things I am trying to do.  I want to think that of others as wellincluding the man many are at the moment demonizing – Gordon Campbell.
  • given what I believe ... and what others are saying and thinking … there will perhaps come a time that we may wish to consider if Gordon Campbell is deserving of this award … but then again we will also need to take a look at others 
My comments then go on with regards to some of the things that 'DO" concern me --- and that I believe should concern the majority of people in BC as well.  I believe them to be far more important than the tempest in a teapot that has been created over this medal being awarded to Gordon Campbell.

I do apologize if you were offended by any of the words I choose to use --- it was NOT my intent to upset anyone and I know much stronger have been used around this discussion.

Thank you for your time an consideration (_ name withheld__), and I hope to hear back from you regarding these comments I have just made.

I did hear back from my friend this morning, and his comments to me were, 

" ... I have to return to your original email to me.  Much as I love you as a brother, you and I are very different characters . I do not allocate any of my limited time to blogging or twittering.  Therefore, what you send to me personally is what I read, namely- "I no longer.......not deserve it".  So that is what I reply to, but perhaps I should add:  The use of 'rat's ass' denotes a poor command of the English language.  You should be concerned if anyone undeservedly is awarded a significant provincial honour, and initiate steps to right the wrong ..."


I love the English language, and some of the slang it includes ... with them there are some colourful things that we are able to say.  I believe I shocked and surprised my friends with my choice of words, and in the future be assured I will give serious thought, should I ever think something like them might be needed, on whether I should or not.

As to my concern about someone receiving an award they should not -- again I believe that looking at the totality of the accomplishments of Gordon Campbell, sometime in the future, would have been a better choice.  

Given that I do not have the space of years with which to look at his accomplishments objectively, then it is not for me to say if he should or should not receive the award ... simply that "now" is not the time.

Furthermore, I again say that I am disappointed by those frothing at the mouth, and accusing Gordon Campbell of being little more than Hitler or some other crazed dictator.  Stick to the point with serious objections, and make a rationale case for what you believe.

So ... I am not sure if I have cleared anything up, or just muddied the water. Regardless, I'll keep making my comments and hoping they cause people (me included) to question what I think and believe.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments, so keep them coming. In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth, with the thoughts of one conservative.





No comments: