Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A few words about the RCMP … You Guys Rock! Keep up the Good Work!


Yesterday, a post was made on Facebook saying … “If you need one more reason to support the idea of a BC Police force here it is.”  Regrettably it led to a link, regarding the story of a police officer, who IF the facts are true, has disrespected all members of the force due to an illegal and unethical action.

Tarring ALL members of city police forces, and the RCMP however would be wrong, and yet that attitude is beginning to permeate in the minds of the public.  This I believe is due to an excessive focus by the media on these bad apples … and little or no focus on the good they do. 

BUT … that is what the news does isn’t it??  We hear mainly of the negative … of the tragedies … of criminal actions … but very little of the wonderful things that people do every day.

I came across a page, in the RCMP website for the BC region, that features letters from people that have had wonderful experiences … been the recipients of extraordinary help … and that have seen exceptional examples of bravery. 

The motto of the RCMP is "Maintiens le droit" (“Defending the law”) … and that seems fitting given the words and thoughts they had.  Read some of these excerpts … and then I encourage you to read more by going to the website yourself.

I know it must be hard for the RCMP members to turn off the seriousness when they are dealing with the worst of the community on a daily basis, but what a difference it makes to the little ones when they do. Now the police don't seem so unapproachable to them.

… reassuring to know given the recent attempted home invasion in the area a few weeks ago that the Nanaimo RCMP do take into consideration and respond to non-emergency calls with care.

… unfortunate experience was turned positive with Cpl. Dean's compassion and understanding


… We live in a 'not so nice' neighborhood and often call for assistance to help deal with vandals and substance abusers. The officers have always been courteous and quick to respond! Thank you for all your hard work. You make us and our neighbors feel safer in our community

… For every 'bad' officer we hear about, there are probably 1000 (maybe more) officers taking the job seriously.  I am saddened at the way the RCMP name has been run through the mud lately. I will always respect what these men and women do and I choose to see the negative stories as uncommon rather than the norm. God bless you all and be safe!

… suspect remained a suspect, or person of interest, something that is especially important to remember in a small community such as ours, which can polarize in an instant. The speed with which action was taken saved a life and stopped escalation. The refusal to give unnecessary details respects the survivor and his sister

… RCMP officers constantly have their eyes open and they would find dad, arrange ambulance for further life giving treatment at hospital or transport themselves. Angels come in many forms and here they also wear the uniform of the RCMP.

… will always be in my highest regard for your support in a difficult time for me and my family and so pleased your force acted immediately and proactively in my son's situation … thank you, thank you, so, so much. I will always remember and be grateful … will always remember your force's support and assistance in a time of need.

… Every call could be the last and I don't know of many other jobs that pose such risk. It is a sad day in the police family as Constable Sykes is laid to rest today. Peace be with you all

… with some help and hard work he will recover and the real [him] will resurface again. Thank you to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for sending out your best and assisting in saving my friend's life.

… I had too many drinks with some friends on Friday, and was walking home alone pretty late … RCMP member of the Chilliwack detachment stopped and asked if I was ok, after he realized I was harmless and just too drunk, he offered me a ride home … the neighborhoods I would have passed through can get pretty scary.  I want to pass on my gratitude to that RCMP officer and all of the members for this. It may not seem much, but to me it was.

… the first officers on scene selflessly put their own safety aside to help those who needed immediate assistance in the building.  A number of elderly residents and occupants in wheelchairs were helped out of the building to safety by police who were on scene prior to fire officials arriving.

… I am so thankful this man is off the street and his network crippled. Hopefully he stays put away for a long time. There have been so many people who have mentioned how happy they are that he's finally been busted. Honestly, it's a relief … you guys rock! Keep up the good work.

… to all the men and women who served on this case, as well as their partners and families, I graciously thank you, and hope that you can also find some peace and solace in the good that this world has to offer.

… I began to look forward to a career in law enforcement. Unfortunately that was not to be as I had an eyesight problem that would not be corrected until many years later … to this day I have nothing but respect and admiration for members of law enforcement. I held a position as safety supervisor with a major taxi company which put me in a position of close contact with law enforcement which continued to uphold my respect for the officers.

… I never caught his name but I really appreciated his helping me out, especially on what must have been a very busy night. He put a human face on the RCMP even though he seemed pretty tired! Hopefully you can pass on my thanks.

… my six year old daughter and I were out riding bikes in Parksville. We came across two Mounties walking through town … motioned for us to stop and then gave my daughter a free mini golf game because she was wearing a helmet. She still talks about the "Ticket" she got for being good. My daughter then asked them what kind of ticket I was going to get because I was not wearing a helmet … they both agreed her dad should be wearing a helmet, and made me promise my six year old that I would wear a helmet from now on … which I do.

… it is so sad that there are those out in the general public that have really downed all police because of the "bad apples" in the bunch so to speak.  I have tremendous faith in our police forces, be it RCMP or City Police Departments.

At times I have been angry and annoyed by the actions of some members of the RCMP --- by and large however they deserve our respect for a job well done!  This is where we all should being saying … “Thank You”

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops … with the thoughts of one conservative.


FOLLOW-UP … on Tuesday evening I came across a story in the National Post that I just have to share with you … hope you enjoy :D
Easy arrest after Mounties find break-in suspect locked in trunk of car he allegedly stole
North Vancouver Mounties made an unexpectedly easy arrest early Monday morning when they found a suspect locked inside the trunk of a car he allegedly had broken into. 

A witness reported seeing a man smash the window of a vehicle. The officers examined the car but found no trace of the suspect. They brought in a dog team to search the area, but again came up empty-handed.   A license plate check led officers to a home nearby, where they found the owner. They brought the person down to see the damage and asked the owner to open the trunk, where they found an 18-year-old man hiding.

“He probably . . . heard the cops coming, and so he hid in the trunk, and then he got locked in there,” said Cpl. Richard De Jong. 

Police are recommending charges of mischief and possession of break-and-enter instruments.

No comments: