Saturday, November 19, 2011

I ask you; by comparison, what do the BC Liberals and the BC NDP stand for?


I like Facebook, although I will admit I spend far too much time there.  I like it because it gives me the opportunity to share and exchange all kinds of ideas with people from all across the political spectrum ... and you should see my Friends list :D

Why am I starting the blog comment, this way, you ask?  

Well last night a friend posted a comment saying, “Thanks for the call BC Liberals but no you won’t be getting a donation from me. Those days are over.”

At which point I promptly said, “… should have asked them to sign up with BC Conservatives. I suspect the call results aren't going that well and maybe they'd want to check us out :D”

Then someone else made a comment that I found interesting … especially as I have been involved in the party and following its growth now for a little over a year.  This person said, “Can't say I've heard piles from either party lately that makes me want to donate to either one, actually.”

That tells me there is still a big job ahead … and that there are still many people are out there waiting to find out what the BC Conservatives stand for, and why they should support them ... whether as a member ... with financial support ... in spreading the word ... being an active member working to build membership ... a director on a constituency association ... or perhaps even consider seeking a nomination to run for the party.

I wrote this person back … and here is what I had to say:


Hi __ name withheld __  ... I saw your post and I hope you don't mind if I respond with this message to you ...

I have been a member of the BC Conservative Party now for a little over a year. I know it is not a long time, however in that time I have followed with GREAT pleasure the progress of the party as it gained a leader, worked through hundreds and hundreds ideas from members all across the province to create a bottom up policy document, as well as putting together a "Contract for British Columbia".

I have attended two major party gathering … one in Surrey for the party leadership … another in Nanaimo to finalize and approve our policy document … and several small gatherings in the interior where people like former Vernon Mayor and former party president Wayne McGrath spoke with passion about the future of the party … where a former BC premier, Rita Johnston came and said why she was now involved … and where I heard people like Darryl Stinson, Jim Hart, and John Cummins also give new hope we could have a government, and MLA’s that could really be representative and accountable to the people who had elected it.

A number of great people are also assisting in developing the framework to build the party AND run a campaign. This not meant to be name dropping, but only an example of the skills coming to the party … people like Hamish Marshal who has worked at the top of several federal conservative campaigns … former Newfoundland Labrador premier Brian Peckford … MP's from the ranks of the Reform Party including as I mentioned Daryl Stinson and Jim Hart … but also Randy White, Paul Forseth, Reed Elley.

BC Conservative Party leader John Cummins is a man people can relate to, and he is a man that has carried a lunch bucket and knows how to get his hands dirty. How many of today’s politicians have come from hard working roots? This is a man that worked in the pulp and paper industry in Ontario … the oil fields of Alberta … on construction of the Bennett hydroelectric dam in Northern BC … and who also owned and operated his own commercial fish boat.

This is also a man who know and appreciates young people from his days as a teacher

And … this is a man that knows what it takes to be part of a winning time as he was elected to sit as an MP for the Reform Party of Canada, and the Conservative Party of Canada, 6 times.

Again it was hearing your words __ name withheld __ that encouraged me to write this today. If what I have written resonate with you, share them with others … if they resonate with you, then become a member… and if they resonate with you, encourage friends and family to join the team.

The BC Conservative Party stands for bottom up grassroots common sense – not top down directives -- and you can see that in the words of the Policies and Guiding Principles --- and the Contract with British Columbians.

I ask you; by comparison, what do the BC Liberals and the BC NDP stand for?  Come join us and help us build a better BC.

So that is what I had to say --- what say you??  I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops, with the thoughts of one conservative.

2 comments:

Jbridge said...

Awesome,great blog thoughts and those thoughts are the thoughts of More than one Conservative.Keep up the good work

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kind words Jeff.

Some time I wonder of there are many people reading what I say, and actually of what value it is, compared to all the many out their that are in serious journalism.

Any ways thank you again ... have a great weekend ... alan