Thursday, August 2, 2012

I heard that he was in the process of writing a book dealing with his life, and time, in politics – well it has been completed!


The Honorable Brain Peckford, former
Premier of Newfoundland & Labrador
The Honorable Brian Peckford, former Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador left politics in 1989, and now calls the Vancouver Island community of Qualicum Beach home.

Some time back I heard that he was in the process of writing a book dealing with his life, and time, in politics – well it has been completed!

Some Day the Sun Will Shine and Have Not Will Be No More” is being released shortly by Flanker Press.  After the initial launch of his book in St. John's on September 12th, Mr. Peckford will be doing book signings in several locations in Newfoundland. 

Mr. Peckford has also booked space at the Parliamentary Press Gallery on September 19th, for a press conference addressing the section of the book that deals with the Constitution; particularly the Patriation of the Constitution in 1981.  This press conference will deal with how 30 years later, the spin of how it came about, is erroneous.

Another area of note, in the book, will be a section entitled “Some Interesting People”.  Here, Mr. Peckford takes the opportunity to describe some of his experiences with Trudeau, Levesque, Crosbie, Moores, and Jamieson.

Don Jamieson, as you may recall, had been External Affairs Minister in the Cabinet of Pierre Trudeau, and was persuaded to come back to Newfoundland and lead the Liberal Party.   Peckford called his first election in 1979, and in it, his Progressive Conservative Party took 60 per cent of the popular vote, winning 44 of the 52 seats in the legislature.

I’m looking forward to having a read of Brian Peckford's new book; afterwhich it will go alongside other books I already have on politics from Preston Manning, David Crosbie, J.S. Woodsworth, Phil Galardi, and a few others.

Meantime … I’m still trying to find a good biography on Ralph Klein.  I know one was written but it’s out of print, and haven’t been able to find a copy in any used book stores so far.  If anyone finds one, let me know and maybe I can arrange to have you pick it up and mail it to me.

In Kamloops, I’m Alan Forseth.

Yeah I know, I’m still posting.  I promise, I’ll take that promised break soon :)

No comments: