Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Math teachers would have given Christy Clark, and BC Finance Minister Mike de Jong, a FAILING grade

Any of my math teachers from my school days would heartily agree math was never my strong suit. Despite that, I love math, I stuck with it, and today most would say I know my way around a calculator :)

That's why I find the BC Liberal version of a balanced budget to be interesting.  It's one I'm sure my Math teachers, in my hometown of Williams Lake, would be giving Christy Clark, and BC Finance Minister Mike de Jong, a FAILING grade on.

Christy Clark and the BC Liberals can say what ever they want about their so-called balanced budget -- but how do they explain CONTINUED excessive growth of BC's provincial debt?

The following is directly from page 35 of the "
Budget 2013 - Province of British Columbia" ... Budget and Fiscal Plan 2013/14 -- 2015/16 ... dated February 19th, 2013.  







Total provincial debt:
2012 / 13 = $56,111 Billion (revised -- again)
2013 / 14 = $62,689 Billion
2014 / 15 = $66,548 Billion
2015 / 16 = $69,428 Billion

Part of this so-called balanced budget form 2013 / 14 also involves a bit a financial slight of hand as well. It involves MOVING $150 million of spending, that should be accounted for in this years budget, over the the 2012 / 13 budget.

And don't forget as well the fire sale of taxpayer owned property and structural assets -- that amounts to another slight of hand amounting to $800+ million

And all of that before tacking on an increase to personal income taxes, and increased costs to  Families (Pay) First with a new rate increase for the Medical Services Plan.

Now I understand why I had so much trouble with math in school -- there are no absolute in rules for adding and subtraction -- you make them up as you go.

The late Premier W.A.C. Bennett said the NDP couldn't manage a peanut stand ... well in looking through the 2013/14 Budget document, it appears neither can the BC Liberals

I'm Alan Forseth in Kamloops … with the thoughts of one conservative.

2 comments:

Ed Fehr said...


I get a little sick just thinking of the 2013 Liberal Budget.I would credit a child in grade school with more ability than Micael DeJong. Kinda tells you how I feel. But I really was not expecting to much from the finance minister. This is my personal thought however.

Unknown said...

Just remember how terrible we felt when we realized the NDP had increased debt from $19 billion to $30 billion.

Meantime our BC Liberal friends, who are spending millions to tell us how well they are managing the economy and financial reoursces of the province, have taken the debt from $30 to $60+ billion with further additonal billions to be added in next 3 years.

Premier W.A.C. Bennett said the NDP couldn't manage a peanut stand ... well apparently neither can the BC Liberals