Monday, March 14, 2011

Stockwell … remember the early days of the Reform Party, what they stood for, and why they came about

Conservative MP
Stockwell Day
In the late 80's I heard about this group of people wanting to see change in Canadian politics -- I found out they were part of a group of people called the Reform Party.  After looking into what they believed and stood for, I became a member of what was developing as a grassroots political party.  I have followed the transition through the Alliance Party, and through to the Conservative Party and have continued my support, although currently I am not a member of the federal Conservative Party.

Back all those years ago the Reform Party would have died on the vine if supporters with vision like Preston Manning, had not said, this party needs to be there for Canadians, and this party can and will bring about change.  Vote splitting was no less a concern then, and yet the early first members, and those who ran to be Members of Parliament (MP's), became part of the process to see government done differently.


That is why I was so disappointed to hear the words coming from the mouth of Stockwell Day on the TV news Saturday evening --- he spoke of splitting the vote, just like a federal LIBERAL supporter; Christy Clark.  Even Christy Clark during her recent leadership campaign paid tribute to her father who years ago ran as a BC Liberal with NO chance of ever winning -- NO mention of vote splitting there.

One of the initial reasons for the Reform Party being created all those years ago was because people had a thirst and hunger for grassroots democracy – and real government accountability.  I hope that Stockwell Day, will reflect back to the early days of the Reform Party, and then think of where the Conservative Party in Canada would be today if those early believers and supporters had given up because people said they would be splitting the vote.

Although I am surprised that given Stockwell Days Reform and Conservative roots, he would be a supporter of the BC Liberals, each of us has the right to support whomever we wish.  Again however I am disappointed that he would go on TV, and say the very things that people said about what Preston Manning and others were trying to do when they created the Reform Party. 

John Cummins, Randy White, Wayne McGrath and dozens and dozens of other people in British Columbia are working just as hard as those early Reformers, to bring about real grassroots change -- change that includes government accountability. 

I hope in the future that when the topic of the BC Conservative Party comes up, that he will remember those early days of the Reform Party of Canada and what they stood for.  I hope that he will agree those working to bring about government accountability in BC, deserve the same respect as those early people in the Reform Party of Canada did two decades ago.

Now … despite everything I have written about my recent disappointment in Mr. Days comments of the BC Conservative party, nothing should take away from what I believe has been an honorable career in both provincial politics in Alberta … and in Ottawa.  I sincerely thank Mr. Day for the dedication he has shown to the people of Alberta, BC, and in fact of all Canada. 

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops, and those are the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: