Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I don't mind someone who changes their mind, based on new knowledge, that allows them to reassess their belief

Some folks have been wondering whats the deal with Preston Manning, and Christy Clark.  For those of us that were part of Preston Manning's Reform movement, we have been greatly puzzled, and felt betrayed, by what appears to be his endorsement of Christy Clark, who is a well known federal Liberal.

In fact, I had a brief conversation with a Liberal friend of mine.  Here is a part of that conversation.

FRIEND:
I believe that there may be a few things that have happened here. My best guess is that Preston realizes that at this point in time, the BC Liberals are the best choice to beat the NDP.

I also believe that it is possible for a person to change their political mind. I have spent time with Christy and had some really great discussions. From these discussions it is my belief that she holds close and true some very fundamental conservative values.

On another front, I must admit that I know little about Mr. Cummings during his tenure as a federal MP but the there is a question that nags at me. Why are so many of his past federal colleagues, PC /Reformer/Conservative, refusing not to support him and yet in turn support the Premier?
There must be reasons? Would enjoy your thoughts on this.

I appreciate the sincerity of my friend, however I have to wonder exactly what "... she holds close and true some very fundamental conservative values" exactly means?  She has indeed verbalized some conservative values, however I have yet to see them actually be practiced.

As to support amongst former Reformers / Conservatives, I replied to my friend with these words:


I don't know x - y - z ... I personally believe that perhaps John took the notion of voter accountability a little more to heart than others?

At the same time there appears to be a good number of former MPs that support John  Cummins, and the BC Conservative Party.  These include current party president Reed Elley ... along with former MP's Paul Forseth, Jim Hart, Daryl Stinson, and Randy White. 

Others include former BC Premier Rita Johnson (whom I am delighted to have met a couple times now -- what a wonderful lady) ... and former Newfoundland / Labrador Premier Brian Peckford who I also found to be very pleasant and well spoken.

It seems there is support going in both directions at the moment.
Again I think that the telling tale in what happens in the future will be the two by-elections. Guess we will find out soon once Christy calls them. 

Right now the political landscape of BC definitely appear to be changing ... one thing is certain though and that is that many BC voters no longer believe what they hear from the BC Liberal Party.  They do not believe they will deliver what they say they will do, and the do not believe the words being spoken, because they are not seeing actions that match.

People do not believe you can balance the budget when the debt will continue to rise by nearly $10 billion over the next two years ... 


They do not believe Christy Clark really has the needs of families first when MSP premiums are rising, BC Ferry rates are rising, the carbon tax paid at the gas pumps continues to go up, and when BC Hydro and ICBC rates are increasing; those along with other fees.

BC voters of every persuasion are also looking critically at the government as criminals are turned loose because their trials are being delayed over and over again ... and when needed resources for hospitals and schools instead go into the Pacific Carbon Trust.

Again one of the things my friend said to me was, "I also believe that it is possible for a person to change their political mind".

I don't mind someone who changes their mind, based on new knowledge, that allows them to reassess their belief.  What I do mind however is someone who changes their mind just for political expediency.

With BC Liberal support down to just 24% of the electorate, it seems their are many others that feel the same way too.

I'm Alan Forseth, currently in Vancouver, with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: