Thursday, May 31, 2012

How do we deal with the consequences of actions taken in the past? How can they be resolved in a way that is respectful to all? How will we conduct ourselves?


I appreciate when people drop me a note to ask about posts I have written, or questions / comments they have about the BC Conservative Party.

Yesterday, one of my Liberal friends (yeah I do have some) wrote me a note saying:
FYI - I have received two comments this morning about John Cummins comments on First Nations. In short - they think his comments say that he has "thrown in the towel" to become the next Premier of BC.... as a result of last week's interview (and likely his newspaper interview) on Voice of BC.... thought you should know....

Okay … that’s a fair comment; but I wondered, “What are those comments based on.”  So I responded by saying:
Unfortunately TOO many people listen to the comments / opinions of what he has said -- rather than his actual comments, and the facts behind them. It is NOT popular, but in fact he is 100% accurate in what he is saying based on ALL existing court cases.

Where do people plan to live when claims cover 120% of the province.  The First Nations governments can't even agree amongst themselves who's territory is who's ... 97% of the First Nations Fishery was SOLD when the fishery is ONLY to be for food and ceremony ... the land turned over to the Tsawwassen Band was undervalued 10 fold ... I could go on and on.

YES we need to settle these issues -- BUT -- it has to be fair and realistic. THAT is what John Cummins is trying to say and get across.

Here’s the response that I received from my friend:
I respect this point... but unfortunately the public is hearing another message … and I must admit - that the aspect of settling land claims is something I agree with John on … but his other comments around how to go about it is something I disagree with, in light of land claims and plenty of case law on this subject...

To which I replied:
Either we are all equal or we are not. It’s time to get out of the past --- move forward ... and provide realistic opportunities for each and every First Nations person so they can have every opportunity for success.

And yes ... the public is hearing another message ... but it is one being manipulated by those who take advantage of the dissension being created.


If we can't move forward realistically, we'll be dealing with this same issue for another hundred years.

The response, from my friend, came back as follows:
Except one problem - the Canadian Constitution already speaks of First Nations have special rights over average Canadians so eventually that will have to change in order that your vision for First Nations becomes true...

I concluded my comments by saying:
It is imperative that more people, and I include you, try to respectfully get across that we must all be considered equal -- no one can be more equal than another or the whole system breaks down as each socio / economic / ethnic / minority group jockeys for a position.

Because government at all levels is afraid to take a lead in saying this (for fear of being labeled racists/ bigots / homophobes/ etc) they all cower and dabble at the edges of the issues that must be addressed in a respectful, open, and honest manner.

There are some that see this as their opportunity to make a buck ... be in the spotlight ... and generally create / cause havoc. These are the real people we should be concerned about.

So that’s the conversation I had with my Liberal friend, one of many along the same lines, likely taking place across the province … even now. 

I’m not asking you to take sides, but I wonder what your thoughts are on this issue? 

How do we deal with the consequences of actions taken in the past?  How can they be resolved in a way that is respectful to all?  How will we conduct ourselves?

Just to wrap things up, here’s the conclusion to a story from the National Post (B.C. Liberals’ merger with Conservatives dead, but name change still expected), which ran on Wednesday May 30, 2012:
“Mr. Cummins has faults and also makes mistakes — he apologized last year, for example, after musing that homosexuality may be a “choice” — but his knowledge of B.C. shouldn’t be underestimated.  Nor should his experience outside of politics.  He’s worked in oilfields, on construction sites and as a commercial fisherman, which gave him good insight into related aboriginal affairs. He is planted more firmly on the ground than most.”

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops, with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: