Monday, July 9, 2012

Is it too much to ask that the Premier, sign the letters of response to questions posed to her?


Last week I made mention of a program at Science World, that takes science to kids across the province, was losing its government funding.  I encouraged folks to write to the Premier if they agreed this should have a second look.

I myself did write, and sent the following to Premier Christy Clark:

Ms Christy Clark
Premier of British Columbia

Several days ago came across a news story that said, "A popular program that brought science learning to hundreds of thousands of children across the province will come to an end after Premier Christy Clark’s BC Liberal government stopped its funding."

I find this surprising after you recently praised the work being done, and the importance of having children involved and plugged in to science.   I believe this program is important, and should be continued, and ask that you reconsider this decision.  Perhaps some of those bonuses currently being paid to CEO's and Execs of Crown Corporations and agencies could be used to fund this?

Sincerely … (my name, address, phone number, and my email was included)

Surprisingly, or perhaps not, I received a rather generic response back this morning – what was more surprising however was that this ‘generic’ response was unsigned! 

Is it too much to ask that the Premier, or whoever she designates to reply to her correspondence, sign the letters of response to questions posed to her?


This wondering sent me of course to Google where I typed in, “why do we sign letters”.  The first listing that came up was from a blog called Concurring Opinions, where the writer stated:

Not signing letters isn’t an option. (Unless OSCAR sweeps the world of state courts too). In thinking about why, I’ve come to conclude, with no scholarly studies to back me up, that there is something interestingly persuasive about a signature ...

… I have a theory. I think that when we see a signature, we associate it with a contract, and our totemic beliefs (exposed in the beginning of every contract law class) in the ritual power of writing things down and signing them. In popular culture, contracts exist when they are signed (and, less frequently, sealed). So when we see a signature on a letter, I think it suggests a sort of warranty

It seems my wondering / question wasn’t so far off the mark, and perhaps more people than not would have the same opinion.  Regardless, this is the reply I received from the Premiers Office, on the email I sent on the cancellation of funding for this program that takes science to the children of BC:

Thank you for your email regarding funding for the BC Program for the Awareness and Learning of Science.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your concerns with us. We will be sure to share your correspondence with the Honourable George Abbott, Minister of Education, for his review as well. Minister Abbott will ensure your feedback is included in any related discussions.

Again, thank you for writing and bringing your concerns to our attention.

I won’t hold my breath this program will be saved; I’d like to be surprised though, and maybe I will be.

If you haven’t written Premier Christy Clark on this, I’d like to encourage you to do so.  Why not take a moment to send her an email; the address is premier@gov.bc.ca.

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops, with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: