Monday, May 20, 2013

The time to lick wounds is over --- the time to show we still BELIEVE in BC begins right now!


I
For those who have never met me (July 2012)
am cheating -- a bit -- with todays Conservative Thoughts blog post.  It's an email which I sent out to BC Conservative members in Kamloops South, part of the existing Kamloops South Thompson Constituency Association Board of Directors, some people who contacted us during the election campaign, or who are on my contact list of people from around the province ...

The other day I made a comment and post stating: "People may say they are concerned about the kind of representation (or lack of it) they are receiving -- but it seems we can be led to support a political party that paints the other as the lesser of two evils -- no matter what options may be available from choices available across the political spectrum. Thus, in my opinion, the momentum for the downward spiral continues ... "

It was the start to my first Conservative Thoughts post (
http://kamloopsthompsonbcconservatives.blogspot.ca/2013/05/yes-i-am-disappointed-in-results-of.html), since taking a break over 11 weeks ago now, to be directly involved in the election campaign for the BC Conservatives in Kamloops South Thompson.  I also stated, in that post, that I did not want it to be considered sour grapes as it was NOT my intent; it was just my observation after watching all of the work and efforts put in by a number of great candidates and campaign workers, in individual riding's, right across the province.

I have been asked for my thoughts on why we were not able to connect with voters ... my thoughts on the campaign ... where we went wrong ... did we attack the Liberals (and / or the NDP) hard enough.  One of the best comments posed however, at least in my opinion, was as follows: "Define the ballot issue then define your opponent - a recipe for victory every time."

My response was:
Again I can only speak for what we tried to do here in Kamloops ... that 'was' to define an issue which we felt everything else flowed from.

Specifically that issue was:
"Do BC Liberal Todd Stone, or the NDPs Tom Friedman, have the full
authority of both party / leader to truly represent the interest of the people of Kamloops South Thompson on issues of concern to them? Or when push came to shove, would they have to follow the party line?".  Whether it was hospital care, Ajax Mine, the Carbon Tax, new / increasing fees, rising debt, educational needs, or a multitude of other things, we wanted to know that answer, and felt that voters should as well. 

Call me Don Quixote, but I still believe it was the right question / issue to raise; it simply did not get heard ... and for whatever reason, it was not something which the media (which I was part of for 25 years) chose to ask and get a direct answer to.  In the end, this campaign again boiled down to 'fear' of one party over the other. That was, at least in my opinion, the only issue that defined this campaign
.

Was I wrong? 
Lots of people I am sure will think so, and there's nothing wrong with that.  There will likely be as many reasons why we lost, as there are individuals. 

Regardless however, we DID increase our popular vote.  People DO want our voice to be heard, and they DO want to have BC Conservatives on the ballot ... WE DO have a message that is important.

So now, we get down to the nitty-gritty. 


Despite the Liberals winning the election, I 'personally' believe their victory was won by default.  There are no less people out there concerned with how our province was being run prior to the kick-off off the election campaign, than there were on election day when ballots were cast.

Seventy-five percent (75%) of the people were concerned with the growth of government -- were concerned with the growth of the provincial debt --- were concerned about hospital and education budgets being robbed to pay the carbon tax rather than proving direct services -- were concerned with growing taxes and fees -- with concerned with the arrogance of government -- and did in fact still believe government really did not listen to them. 

 Many like me are learning and figuring out the knowledge, skill sets, and campaign smarts that the other parties have already learned, after having done this multiple times over the past couple of decades. 

That I beleive is one of the biggest reasons for our loss at the ballot box.  BC Conservatives simply were not able to show, and demonstrate, that we were ready to take over the reins of government. 

We are not ready yet, but we can and should continue to build a party that IS ready to become the government; and now we will have that opportunity over the next few years leading up to the election in 2017.



If you are indeed from here in Kamloops South I look forward to hearing from you, because we will need to have a meeting of the Constituency Association board in the next week or two.  Call or send me an email in the next few days.

If you are from elsewhere in the province ... get together with your fellow BC Conservative and start NOW to create a solid foundation of people you WILL NEED for the next campaign.

The time to lick wounds is over --- the time to show we still BELIEVE in BC begins right now!


I'm Alan Forseth in Kamloops ... with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: