Friday, January 7, 2011

Harry Lali ... 'the establishment' ... and 'Older White Males'

Since news broke of the ridiculous situation the NDP find themselves in (at least 1 of the 3 main party positions must be filed by a woman), many have been outspoken about how “un-democratic” the New Democratic Party is.

Again, one of the following 3 positions must be filled by a woman … the Treasurer, President, or Party Leader, and since Carole James resignation, that leaves only the leaders position available – and no woman stepping forward to date declaring they are in the running.

So what do we have?  Equity Quotas … Gender Rules … Reverse Discrimination

Joining the chorus in the past several days, and again yesterday in announcing his candidacy to the leadership of the NDP, longtime member Harry Lali has all of a sudden discovered this clause in their constitution.  As he has been an MLA now for 20 years, I have to wonder how he missed this important point.


Regardless of the NDP constitution, here is what Harry Lali had to say during his  kick-off speech in Merritt:

…. “Equity quotas are anti-democratic and discriminate, specifically against older, white males”

 … “as leader, I would welcome back older, white males into our NDP family"

And … "I say to older, white males: 'Don't stand outside the tent and complain, come and join my campaign team."

I don’t know about any of you other “older white males”; however my ears didn’t hear that in a positive way.  So Harry … thanks for the invite, but I think I’m going to take a pass.

By the way just to be sure we understood that he is NOT part of the establishment, and that he DIDN”T NEED the help of the establishment, he beat listeners over the head eight times with phrases including …

·        NOR do I need the help of the establishment in my campaign.

·        MINE WILL NOT be a campaign run by the establishment of the party or the establishment of this province.

·        I am NOT the candidate of the establishment of the BCNDP.

·        NOR have I sought the endorsement of the establishment of the BCNDP.

Okay … are we perfectly clear … Harry Lali IS NOT a candidate of the establishment.

No comments: