Friday, December 16, 2011

How do we live our life, based on the risks that are presented to us?


Let’s make decisions on whether to proceed, or not proceed, based on real facts.

I was asked the following question by someone yesterday:
One wonders how members of the North Coast fishing industry feel about John Cummins championing a program that would see regular traffic of crude-oil supertankers through their fishing grounds.
I can't claim to know the mind and thoughts of John Cummins, or fishermen on the North Coast, for that matter.  

I don’t speak for the BC Conservative Party … I’m a member just like any other … although I do hold a position as a representative for the party in the Kamloops area.  That’s just my way of saying I think like a small “c” conservative – and what I write are my own thoughts.  So here we go … in answer to that question.

I have said on many occasions that the prosperity, and well-being, of British Columbia depends on the high paying wealth generating resource based jobs (on the land and in the water).

That said … I am NOT in favor of resource development for the sake of $$ … nor am I in favor of NO development because there may be the slightest possible chance of an environmental accident.

Every day our own life is a series of possibilities that rank from a high probability --- to little or no chance of ever possibly happening.  So what do we do about the ones with little or no chance, and how do we live our life based on the risks that are presented to us?

Should we simply stay in bed because we MAY be hit by a bus?
Should we never leave the house because there is a chance we could be hit by lightning?
Should we not drive our car because we may get in an accident -- or cause one ourselves?
Me and my 1986 Yamaha 750 Maxim "X"
I ride a motorcycle for about 8 months of the year – I love the feeling I have when I do. 

I am a careful rider, however those driving cars can at times be distracted and not pay close attention (or see) people riding motorcycle’s.  That is why we have a greater chance of being rear-ended … or hit by someone making a left turn in front of us. 

Do I stop riding my motorcycle because of that?

AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME ... but I believe we need to have well a thought out process that takes into account the very real, and the extremely low risks possibilities when we consider the opening and the locations of resource development.

Let’s make sure that whatever we decide to go ahead with -- or NOT -- is based on real probabilities / possibilities … and let’s ensure that the best environmental protection is in place

This is me again, but I think there is far too much rhetoric being spewed by people that have NO idea what they are talking about --- and / or who are enjoying their brief time in the spotlight.

As I wrap this up today --- I will leave you with a prime example of the craziness around real or imagined concerns about the environment --- and how often times these concerns are presented without full knowledge of the facts.  Here is the headline from a December 15th news story in the Kamloops Daily News … “Odd couple: Krueger and Steelworkers bash labour council” … and remember I live in Kamloops and I am well aware of the neighbourhoods … and where the mine site is proposed for.
A decision by the Kamloops and District Labour Council to oppose Ajax Mine shows public sector workers are divorced from economic reality … the United Steelworkers, which is threatening to pull out of the organization, said the labour council rushed to judgment before any studies are available on the mine.  Krueger said he was surprised the labour council came to judgment before any environmental studies have been commissioned.

“Public sector unions tend to forget we need a private sector so the taxpayer can pay for their wages and benefits,” Krueger said. “Now they’re jumping in before doing their due diligence.”

… the labour council said 75 per cent of its members who responded to a survey were opposed to the mine for what it said was environmental impact, effect on recreational activities, reduced property values in Aberdeen and what it said was proponent KGHM’s poor environment record.

… Kamloops-Thompson Teachers Association — chose not to participate because it’s in the midst of a job action … surveys were not sent to members of Communications Energy and Paperworkers (CEP) Local 2000 …

Murray Matheson, president of CEP 10b, which represents members at Domtar, said he wasn’t in the loop on the survey.  “I didn’t find out about it until it happened,” Matheson said of the position by the labour council. “There wasn’t as good communication as there should have been.”  Matheson agreed with other private sector union leaders that the decision looks rushed because no environmental studies have started.  “I think we’ll review it as a local and go from there,” he said.
This is a condensed version of the story --- but it gives a good example of how the truth gets distorted because not all members of the council participated in the survey … nor do they agree with the results.  That said, I still do not understand why the council, representing unions that would be getting jobs at the mines and relating supply industries and trades, be against the proposed mine with no real information on the environmental impact??

Benefits graph of the proposed northern pipeline to Kitimat
Let’s protect the environment … let’s protect jobs … let’s protect needed government services that depend on taxes that come from resource development jobs. 

BUT let’s make decisions on whether to proceed, or not proceed, based on real facts and information.

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops ... with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: