Saturday, September 8, 2012

I wish I could have been there, but our Salmon Arm fair was hosting Adrian Dix, and I needed to warn him that we were at his heels



It's in the news -- it must be true (NOT)

Some folks subscribe to the theory that if you post something that isn’t true, or that is misleading, enough times … people will believe its true.  There was a lot of that happening this past week … and on social media as well.

Now, I am NOT prepared to call anyone a liar, however many were happy to post about “fireworks” and a “bloodbath” they seemed to have some special knowledge would be happening … happening at the BC Conservative Party Special General Meeting which took place on Saturday.  Here’s just one example:

Bernard Von Schulmann (Yesterday at 8:07pm via Twitter )
Looks like I will have an inside source texting me the blow by blow of the #BCCP blood bath in Victoria tomorrow.  They have a special general meeting on Saturday in Victoria to sort out the shit going on

Al Forseth
Actually ... the meeting is to approve a new party constitution that was put together by a committee of party members. It was reviewed and approved at a full face to face party Board Meeting in Richmond a couple of months ago ... and this is the final step now with membership to approve it.

QUOTE:
The purpose of the Special General Meeting is to consider the passing of a Special Resolution providing for the repeal of the current By-laws of the Party and the adoption of the By-laws set forth in the Proposed Special Resolution a copy of which together with Draft no 9 of the By-laws dated the 16 of July 2012

This information is available to members and non-members directly on the party website.

Bernard Von Schulmann:
So I should be getting texts tomorrow about infighting and such?

Al Forseth
I don't see why --- pretty basic stuff. The meeting as I said is only to approve the constitution. You can read for yourself from the link. Nothing earth shattering that I saw previously when we went over it at the face to face provincial board meeting we had in Richmond earlier this Summer

Well folks ... CONTRARY to the tweets of BC Liberals, social media folks, and some media commentators, today was a great day for the BC Conservative Party!

I received a call from John Cummins shortly after the meeting ended and he said today’s Special General Meeting went great.

He sounded like it too!  

John said the meeting was VERY positive, and a few good amendments were brought forward and passed.  John said, “I’m pumped, and looking forward to the AGM on the 22nd!”


My friend, Doug Clovechok, who happens to be running as a candidate for the BC Liberal Party in the Kootenay’s, figured he’d weigh in on what I had to say; his comment?
I did not know Al that you were such a "spin doctor"...not the reports that others are sharing about today's outcome. What the heck though...we all remain civil. Damn shame though your right wing continues to attack our coalition right while the real enemy is at the gates. Cummings does not care about BC, he just wants to fight the BC Liberals...such a shame.

That’s was okay as Al Siebring, who did attended the meeting, made the following comment:
The fact is that for a party which, if you believe the media reports, is about to self-destruct, it was the most unified gathering I've ever attended.

We had an honest, civil discussion about our Constitution and Bylaws. A few minor amendments were made and debated. Some passed. Some failed. And in the end, the proposed changes (with - I believe - a total of 4 minor amendments) passed unanimously
.

I only wish that I could have been there as well to see the unity, spirit of co-operation, and teamwork in getting the work done that all knew needed to be done.  To each of you there I say, “Congratulations’

Meantime, here’s the best quote to come from another friend, Tom Birch … who also was not able to attend the SGM:
I wish I could have been there, but our Salmon Arm fair was hosting Adrian Dix, and I needed to warn him that we were at his heels.

Rumors and innuendo DO NOT equal fact … and for some of you, who have been discouraged this past week, take heart that the majority of members in the BC Conservative Party are united in our one true goal – bringing common sense and integrity back to the legislature in Victoria.

Now … here’s the final word from BC Conservative Party President Reed Elley … on this very meeting:
Just to report that the SGM went very well today.  We had around 100 people there, and Joan and her crew had everything running smoothly.  Thank you Joan.   Thanks to Vic and Ian who helped me keep order and keep us on track.  Job well done!  There were some good amendments made and at the end of the meeting the new bylaws passed unanimously. A great day all round!

Yes indeed … a great day all round.  See at the AGM my friends.

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops … with the thoughts of one conservative.



FOLLOW-UP ... a note from Tom Birch:‎'hosting' in retrospect was not the right word. Mr. Dix was campaigning with his local candidate. I enjoyed speaking with him and letting him know that we are coming for this seats.

I also meet another MLA, this one Liberal, who come by our booth to invite me to the Liberal AGM. I thanked him but noted that I am very happy where with the party I have chosen.


All that plus 6 new memberships, dozens of positive discussions and more people than I could count clapping and giving thumbs up on the parade route. I can hardly wait to go back to the Fair and see what today has in store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was there in attendence. No fireworks...just takin care of business in an orderly routine way.