Thursday, April 14, 2011

What requirements are there for someone to be called / declared the Premier of BC?

Its letter writing time … here is another email, this one sent yesterday, as I was pondering, and wondering, how someone is declared to be the Premier of the Province.  The following is a copy of what I sent to the Honourable Steven L. Point, OBC, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia:

Your Honour...

I am hoping that as the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, you could help me with a question I have regarding the premiers office.  The nature of the questions is, what requirements are there for someone to be called / declared the Premier of BC?


I ask this because at the moment while the BC Liberal Party does have a majority in the Legislature, the leader of their party has not been elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for any of the provincial riding's.  Given that, is she able to declare that she is the Premier of the Province?

I know that Wikipedia is not the ultimate authority, however the information they have online states that:

Although the Premier is the day-to-day leader of the provincial government, they receive the authority to govern from the Crown (represented in British Columbia by the Lieutenant Governor). Formally, in fact, the executive branch of government in British Columbia is said to be vested in the Lieutenant Governor acting by and with the advice of the Premier.

The political party that wins the largest number of seats in a general election is usually invited by the Lieutenant Governor to form the government. Its leader becomes the head of the provincial government and is known as the Premier.

The position of the Premier is not described in Canadian constitutional statutes. Instead, the position’s power and authority largely depend on their relationship with other Members of the Legislative Assembly, political party, and the public.

I thank you for your time, and look forward in advance to your answer to my question.

Sincerely,
Alan Forseth


Again this was only just sent yesterday afternoon, but I’ll let you know what the answer is once I receive a reply.

I’m still in Kamloops … and I’m still Alan Forseth with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: