Thursday, June 30, 2011

There are actually at least 3 camps regarding the HST ... and the PST / GST

Many people … including those in the media … have NOT realized there are actually at least 3 camps (or schools of thought) regarding the HST ... and the PST / GST.

There are those who, no matter what, hate the government -- and the HST --- and will vote to end its existence.

There are those who go, "Whoopee … it goes down 2% and the government will be mailing me a FREE cheque to bribe me into keeping it.”

Then there were those who like me who said, “I do not like how it was initiated but I will vote to retain it.”

That was until Christy Clark tinkered with it … a “FIX” she called it.


A 1% reduction in the rate of the HST, and nothing else, could have been shown to truly be the closest to being revenue neutral.  Then Christy Clark, Kevin Falcon and the rest of the BC Liberal cabinet and caucus could have fanned out across the province and apologized for how it was initially brought in, said they'd listened, and were being responsive and accountable.

Instead they took people like me and made them look at the actual results of what a 2% reduction in the HST will do to the deficit and debt -- never mind the added cost of the bribe cheque as well.

A 12% HST was too high --- we knew it cost us more --- period.  No matter how the government twisted it, paying an additional tax on 20% of the things we purchased could NOT be shown to be revenue neutral.

So if we vote to retain the HST … at the 10% rate the government has now locked themselves into with the federal government … what will be the end result?

I know what the deficit is now ... I also know where the deficit and the debt is going based on the government’s own financial reports … and I also know the millions of dollars it costs every day just to pay the interest rate on the debt. 

With the extra hit to revenue they will take, with a 10% HST, they have set up a situation to create a future disaster for any upcoming government --- no matter who they are. 

That I cannot abide ... and that is why I have to vote to kill the HST. 

I believe there are a good number of people out there as well who have come to the same conclusion. 

Likely just enough of us to ensure the HST is defeated in the referendum … whereas we could have tipped it in favor of retaining the HST if the bribe / fix hadn’t gone in.

As I see it, we as taxpayers could not afford a 12% HST … but on the other hand the government cannot afford a 10% HST.

That only leaves me with one option or choice to make – vote to go back to the old combined PST / GST ... the closest things to what the HST at 11% could and should have been from the start. 

Not doing that means I will saddle myself, and upcoming generations, with higher fees and taxes down to road to try and clean up the mess of Christy Clarks “Fix”

This is economics plain and simple … and it has nothing to do with what I think, feel, or hear from Christy Clark and the BC Liberals – Adrian Dix and the NDP … or from Bill Vander Zalm and Chris Delaney in the Fight HST group.   

Of those people, and what they have to say, I have a different opinion.

I am voting YES to end the HST – not because of the rhetoric I have heard – but because of the facts. 

I hope you will do the same as well … but regardless, please do take part in this historic opportunity to have your say.  Don’t let you vote be wasted or thrown away by not taking part.

I’m Alan Forseth in Kamloops … and those are the independent thoughts of one conservative.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's another component of Christie Clark's 'fix' to the HST - she's raising corporate tax rates to make up the revenue shortfall. Both experience and economics have shown that raising corporate rates does not raise significant amounts of new revenue (many corporations can simply move profits to lower tax jurisdictions to avoid the tax) and discourages the investment BC needs to create jobs and improve productivity.

One of the main selling points of the HST was that it would improve our investment environment by allowing companies to claim input tax credits thereby lowering the cost of capital goods. Christie's plan simply gives with one hand while taking away with the other. Not only will she fail to achieve her revenue objectives but also she has defeated the very purpose of the HST. Altogether not a very smart plan.

Peter Neville

Ian said...

HST is not the panacea it was sold as being. It is most harmful to businesses that sell products to customers in other provinces - like I do.

Under the "Place of Supply" rules, when a person from another GST province purchases from me, I must charge him HST at the rate of his HOME province, meaning that our BC HST could be only 1% but I am still forced to charge a resident of Nova Scotia his 15% HST! Ontario is 13%

It means that Alberta and the other prairie provinces now have a HUGE advantage ove me, becuase under a GST/PST system, out of province buyers only have to pay GST. I cannot afford to lower my proces by 10% to compete, the margin isn't there.

I joined the conservative party because I thought their position on the HST was clear.

HST is killing my business and creating terrific opportunities for prairie businesses. Until Canadian provinces ALL have HST and at the same rate, we will be at a significant disadvantage as small business owners.

Ian Hames

Anonymous said...

Right on! we have already sent in our yes vote.
Between bribes and trying to confuse people by the wording on the ballot Iam discusted.
uncoP Dagert