Sunday, May 15, 2011

John Cummins Responds to CFAX Interview

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 15, 2011
Vancouver, BC


My comments on CFAX radio this past Wednesday may have been misinterpreted and may have offended some. I apologize for that.

To clarify, my use of the word "choice" was unfortunate, because it confused the meaning of my statement, which was that I believe anyone can live their life in the way they want.

I don't know how sexual orientation develops. That discussion is best left to experts and researchers, not politicians. What really matters to me is how we treat diversity.

All British Columbians, regardless or race, religion, gender or sexual orientation should have the same equal opportunities and protections in our society. We all should be treated equally before the law, and no group in society warrants preferential treatment.

I believe that while moral issues are important to the private lives of many people in this province, there is no consensus in our party or among the public on these issues and we have no intention to change the status quo.

As leader of the BC Conservatives I will strive to ensure that BC is a great place to live, work and raise a family and that all it's people enjoy equal respect and treatment in all aspects of their lives.

No comments: