Monday, March 26, 2012

John van Dongen joins the BC Conservative Party


John van Dogen -- Abbotsford South
MLA leaves for BC Conservative Party
Sometime back I had made a mental note of several BC Liberal MLA's that I thought may be considering a move to the BC Conservative.

I thought the first might break after the two by-elections; however today Abbotsford South Liberal MLA John van Dogen made political history for the new BC Conservatives.  

Here are the comments of John Van Dongen, with comment as well by BC Conservative Party leader John Cummins:

March 26, 2012 – Victoria –
John Cummins, Leader of British Columbia’s Conservatives, welcomed John van Dongen, MLA for Abbotsford South into the BC Conservative Party.

“John van Dongen is a man of principle and integrity, and I am delighted that he has joined BC’s fastest growing party,” said Cummins. “I am excited to work with John as we reach out to British Columbians and share our message of fiscal responsibility, ending the catch-and-release justice system, and reducing the influence of special interests in the political process. John’s experience in the legislature will be invaluable in holding the government to account.”


When asked why he made the move, “I decided to join the BC Conservatives because they are a party devoted to integrity and are motivated by a genuine commitment to public service,” said van Dongen.  

He went on to say “I am energized to be part of a principled, honest and growing party that offers the people of BC a credible, free enterprise option in the next provincial election.”

In making his announcement, in the BC Legislature this afternoon, John van Dongen closed with these comments:

In closing, Mr. Speaker, moving forward I will do what I have done for the past 17 years --- I will put my time, energy and talents to serve my constituents and the party that can best provide British Columbians with a broadly-based, credible, free enterprise option. Therefore, I am pleased to announce that I will now be sitting in this House as a member of the BC Conservative Party. I look forward to continuing to work hard for my constituents in Abbotsford- South, and for all British Columbians.
He is the kind of MLA that the people of BC, in any riding, should have; one that is committed to common sense government, and his long held belief in being accountable to his constituents.

I believe at least one more BC Conservative will soon be sitting in the BC Legislature, following the results of the by-elections taking place in Port Moody - Coquitlam ... and in Chilliwack - Hope.

The BC Liberals Party has been unraveling for months now -- John van Dongen leaving the BC Liberals however is the first real public showing of that.

In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth, with the thoughts of one conservative.

No comments: